Friday, February 5, 2010

Dear Grandmother... uh, Mr. President

Last Tuesday there was yet another Obama appearance and speech at a "Town Hall" meeting in Nashua, NH. I don't know what his audience came away with, I just know that I came away with a 3 item Wish List: (1) I wish he'd get off the campaign trail (2) I wish he'd get off the campaign trail, and (3) I wish he'd get off the campaign trail. If he'd do any one of those things, he might be able to get back into the Oval Office and work on some things that we really, truly, need; not what he's decided we need.
Actually, his approach to "giving" reminds me of my paternal grandmother. Every Christmas and birthday from when I was old enough to know what was going on, I got a pair of huge, old lady's underwear. We weren't poor, so she couldn't have thought I needed them, and if she thought she was helping me stockpile for a "rainy day", that didn't work, either... I never got big enough for them to fit me. (Thank God!) Nevertheless, I was expected to send Thank You notes. They all said the same thing: "Dear Grandmother, Thank you for the nice gift." Of course, if I'd been left to my own devices, they would have read: "Dear Grandmother, What were you thinking? Why would a 6-year old... 12-year old, etc.,... want underwear that she doesn't need, that's ugly, and big as a parachute, to boot? If you insist on giving me things, it would be nice if you could get to know me and give me what I really need."
Since polls, etc., haven't convinced Obama that he's way off base and that we really don't want all the "stuff" he's determined to give us, maybe we should do what I, as a child, couldn't do... maybe we should start a "Thanks, but no thanks!" campaign... maybe we should inundate the White House mailbox and our representatives' (I used that word loosely) mailboxes and ask them, "What are you thinking? Why would we want you to dismantle and bankrupt our health system, our banks, our corporations, our contracts, our real estate market... not to mention our Constitution. Why would we want you to keep printing money, going deeper in debt... why would we want you to put us in the position of having a foreign, communist country, like China, own and run our country?"
Yeah, yeah... you inherited this mess. Get over it... it's yours now and we expect you to work as hard at fixing it as you're working to make it even worse than it already was. Oh, and by the way, when you're broke, you're broke... continuing to spend like a lunatic will not turn our country's bottom line from red to black. We don't need all this shuck and jive, smoke and mirrors, lies and deception... we need a whole lot of common sense, truth, transparency and hard work. We've already done our hard work... now, start doing yours. I know it's easier to play Santa than to be Scrooge, but Christmas is over. Grow up. Deal with it.

No comments: